About Pune Local Centre
Pune Local Centre –popularly known as PLC- was established on 29th November 1958 – first local Centre established by the Council of the IEI. The Council at its 409th meeting held on November 20th,1958 at Shillong unanimously decided to grant Local Centre (earlier Centre was functioning as Paper Centre) to Pune. Before this period only State Centres were functioning at the capital cities of the states.
Over the years Pune has justified the faith reposed by the Council and has become major, active, efficient & popular Centre of the IEI. Pune’s rich heritage on historical, social, educational, political, industrial & cultural fronts gives an insight into the growth of the region and indirectly into that of Pune Local Centre. It has always remained the largest local centre of the IEI. Presently Pune Local Centre has on its roll
|As on 31st March 2012|
|Student Members (ST/T)||19,215|
The Institution Of Engineers (India) is recognized as a Scientific & Industrial Research Organisation by the Department of Scientific & Industrial Research, Ministry of Science & Technology, Government of India & also approved by the Central Board of Direct Taxes , Department of Revenue , Ministry of Finance , & notified under section 35(i)(ii) of the Income Tax Act. By the virtue of the recognition & approval , donations & other payment regarding income of the institution is exempted from Tax.
Infrastructure Facilities At Pune Local Centre
The Centre which functioned through the generosity of late Rao Bahadur NS Joshi, at his bungalow till 1964, moved into its own premises on January 26th, 1965 on the land of 3623 square metres provided by Government of Maharashtra (vide their order no LGL/2761/21475-B dated 26.09.1962). The possession of this land was taken on December 4, 1962.Pune Local Centre is centrally located at plot no. 1332 on Jangli Maharaj Road, Shivajinagar. The centre has one Auditorium of capacity 140, two Full fledged Meeting halls of capacities 50 & 100 resp., one exhibition hall, two Conference halls of capacity 15 , five Class Rooms of capacity 60 & two Class rooms of capacity 20 .
More than 8,000 latest books on various engineering subjects are available in Centre’s Library. The members can avail of the facilities of the Library by reference, reading the books, handbooks, periodicals in the Library Hall and borrow the books for home reading on payments of deposit and subscription.